-+ 0.00%
-+ 0.00%
-+ 0.00%

On the afternoon of August 16, US Eastern Time, early this morning Beijing time, US President Trump posted on social media platforms that due to his “good relationship” with North Korea's supreme leader Kim Jong-un, he was dissatisfied that the US had previously agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump said, “Not only are these military exercises very expensive, and most of the costs are borne by the US, but they are also sending a completely inappropriate and hostile signal to a country that has never been threatening and maintained respect during my presidency.” A few hours after Trump's post was posted, large-scale joint military exercises between the US and South Korea “Eulji Freedom Shield” began, which will continue until August 27. Trump also said in the post that since it is too late to cancel the military exercise, he has “instructed US Secretary of Defense Hegseth to drastically reduce this military exercise.” South Korea's Ministry of Defense said today that the “Eulji Freedom Shield” joint military exercise is being carried out as planned. Allegedly, the South Korean military participated on a scale similar to previous years, with about 18,000 people. During the exercise, it is planned to carry out 14 field mobility exercises at battalion level or above, which is a decrease from last year. Yonhap reported that during this exercise, South Korea and the US will also evaluate the details related to the handover of wartime combat command. North Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said earlier that the essence of the joint military exercise between the US and South Korea is a preview of a war of aggression.

Zhitongcaijing·08/17/2026 04:01:07
Listen to the news
On the afternoon of August 16, US Eastern Time, early this morning Beijing time, US President Trump posted on social media platforms that due to his “good relationship” with North Korea's supreme leader Kim Jong-un, he was dissatisfied that the US had previously agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump said, “Not only are these military exercises very expensive, and most of the costs are borne by the US, they are also sending a completely inappropriate and hostile signal to a country that has never been threatening and maintained respect during my presidency.” A few hours after Trump's post was posted, large-scale joint military exercises between the US and South Korea “Eulji Freedom Shield” began, which will continue until August 27. Trump also said in the post that since it is too late to cancel the military exercise, he has “instructed US Secretary of Defense Hegseth to drastically reduce this military exercise.” South Korea's Ministry of Defense said today that the “Eulji Freedom Shield” joint military exercise is being carried out as planned. Allegedly, the South Korean military participated on a scale similar to previous years, with about 18,000 people. During the exercise, it is planned to carry out 14 field mobility exercises at battalion level or above, which is a decrease from last year. Yonhap reported that during this exercise, South Korea and the US will also evaluate the details related to the handover of wartime combat command. North Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said earlier that the essence of the joint military exercise between the US and South Korea is a preview of a war of aggression.